CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Some sad news...

Yesterday evening I noticed my puppy (Katey) was acting funny, by 8:00 pm she was vomiting every 30 minutes. I figured she had gotten in the neighbors trash and ate some rotten food. By 1:00 am this morning I had to put her out in her kennel because she was vomiting so often. After I got home from work today I let her out of her kennel and usually we have to run the other direction because she is so excited to see us someone ends us getting hurt... today she just slowly walked to the couch with her head down and laid down refusing to get up. I knew something was seriously wrong. I called my bro-in-law who raises dogs and he said go with your gut but if it was my dog I would get her seen ASAP. I called the vets office and they said something sounds very wrong... you should bring her in. They also told me if you bring her in now it will be an after hours office call ($120.00) and we could see her in the morning but we don't recommend you wait. Going with my gut I bit the financial bullet and took her in. The vet came in and took one look at her and said "wow, this is one sick dog". He said she is extremely dehydrated and has a high fever. He then did a rectal exam and out came Blood. He took one look at me and said she has parvo.... WHAT??? She has had all her vaccines...and we were very diligent on getting them at the recommended times. He went ahead and took a parvo test and sure enough... she tested positive for parvo. :(

We are giving her IV's and enough medicine for 10 people... praying that she will pull through. He said there is no cure and only about 60% of puppies infected with this virus live and then of those that live most of them remain unhealthy for the rest of there life. He told me I will know by Thursday afternoon whether or not she will live. She can't even really get off the couch she is so weak. I will continue to pray that she pulls through.... afterall she is a very loved member of our family.

1 comments:

Beth said...

Oh she looks so sick. She looks just like my Taylor puppy... even teh HUGE paws!!

We will keep her in our prayers!